Nov. 15, 2017
Gonzaga Notes | Pacific Notes | Saint Mary's Notes | Portland Notes
Gonzaga at Pacific, at Saint Mary's, vs. Portland
Zags at Pacific: Thursday, Nov. 16; 7:00 p.m.; Stockton, Calif.
Zags at Saint Mary's: Saturday, Nov. 18; 1:00 p.m.; Moraga, Calif.
Zags versus Portland: Monday, Nov. 20; 4:00 p.m.; Spokane, Wash.
- The Zags went 0-2 last weekend, falling to both No. 9 BYU and then-No. 12 San Diego in three sets...against the Cougars Thursday, Faith Smith tallied her ninth double-double of the year with 13 assists and 11 digs...two days later, the Zags nearly took the second set off the Toreros, holding a 22-23 lead before San Diego won the final three points of the frame.
THREE FOR (NO.) THREE:
- Gonzaga is currently tied for third place in the WCC standings with Pacific and Santa Clara...The Zags have held either first place or third place throughout the entire conference season.
- They also tied for third place last season with a 10-8 conference record...it was the program’s highest finish since taking second in the 1994 season.
- Three wins in the final three matches would guarantee at least a share of third place...back-to-back third-place finishes would mean GU’s best finish in consecutive seasons since 1989 and 1990 (second place each year).
- Three more wins would also give the Zags winning records in four straight seasons...that hasn’t happened during the program’s NCAA Division I history (only time: 1982-85 in the AIAW)...two more wins clinch a .500 record, and the Zags haven’t had a four-year stretch at or above .500 during the D1 era, either.
IT JUST MEANS WE GET TO PLAY MORE!:
- Gonzaga has gone to five sets 10 times this season...the Zags are 7-3 when going the distance this year and 13-4 over the last two seasons.
- They are 6-1 in five-setters against conference foes...they opened WCC play with five straight five-set wins from Sept. 21-Oct. 5.
- The Zags’ Division I record for most five-setters played is 13, first set in 1990 and equaled in 2014...in 1990, Gonzaga won all 13 matches that went the distance.
- Two Bulldogs have played in all 104 sets this year: DS/OH Tiyana Hallums and OPP/S Jenna Kuehn.
- MB Alyse Whitaker has played in 102 and sat out her first frames of the season Nov. 11 versus San Diego.
- Those three join S Faith Smith and OH Sarah Penner to play in all 27 matches...Whitaker is the only one to have started all 27, although Smith has made all but one start.
FIRST YEAR, NO FEAR:
- The Zags have seven freshmen on the roster, six of which have taken the court...OH Sarah Penner leads the team with 237 kills – second-most by a freshman in the WCC this season – and OH Chapin Gray is second on the team, fourth in the WCC with 213...both average over two kills a set.
- DS/OH Gretchen Rudel has played in 75 sets, third-most among the freshmen, and has 89 digs, 1.19 per frame...OPP Abby Knapp comes next at 53 sets...she’s registered 73 kills and 27 blocks.
- DS Julia Talarico has 17 digs in 19 sets...S Mary Marzo posted 45 assists and 10 digs in 18 frames.
- In all, the freshmen have landed 538 kills this year, 43.4% of the team’s total...they’ve also tallied 328 digs (22.8%) and 27 service aces (24.3%).
ON THE TIGERS:
- Pacific is 13-13 on the season and coming off a five-set win against Saint Mary’s…the Tigers are 8-7 overall in the WCC and also tied for third.
- Offensively the Tigers are led by Emily Baptista with 374 kills...Hanne De Schrijver and Andie Shelton split passing duties with 664 and 425 assists, respectively.
- Ashlyn Fleming is Pacific’s primary blocker with 115 stuffs, and Katrin Gotterba has 401 digs on the year.
ON THE GAELS:
- Saint Mary’s is 7-18 this season…in WCC play, the Gaels are 3-12, good for ninth in the conference.
- Four Gaels are within 23 kills of each other with Sienna Young leading the team at 206, 2.42 a frame…Alexsa Parker and Mary Hernandez split setting duties with 499 and 448, respectively.
- Three players have at least 70 blocks in 2017, and Madi Wilkerson tops SMC with 223 digs, 3.48 a frame.
ON THE PILOTS:
- Portland is 14-13 overall and 5-10 in WCC play…the Pilots are currently eighth in the league standings.
- Hannah Troutman leads the team and is second in the WCC with 440 kills, 4.31 a set…Cali Thompson sets for the Pilots and has 1,052 assists, 10.31 a frame.
- Defensively, Morgan Robinson leads the team with 326 digs, 3.20 a set, although Troutman is just 10 digs shy at 316...two more Pilots average nearly 2.50 or more digs every frame.
LAST MATCH'S STARTING LINEUP:
||Second among WCC freshmen with 237 kills...10+ in 15 matches.
||Leads team with 13 double-doubles (three triple-doubles).
||Fourth in GU’s rally-scoring era with 1,808 career assists.
||Only Zag to start all 27 matches so far...hitting career high .290.
||Career high nine blocks against Pacific Sept. 23...six vs. SMC.
||First career start Sat. versus San Diego...played in seven matches.
||Fifth in WCC with 4.05 digs/set vs. WCC foes...eighth vs. everyone.